Thursday, March 03, 2005

Stuff that is Silly

Silliness is subjective. Here’s my current opinion.

Sunglasses:

Haven’t owned a pair for at least 30 years. The human eye has evolved (or been created, depending on your outlook) to view the world as illuminated by the sun. I see no evidence that performing that function will cause "strain", or require that the organ be protected. Some folks wear them to look cool. Nothing wrong with that, and I would, except that I refuse to spend more than about $1.75 to look cool and you can’t seem to buy sunglasses for that amount any more.

Jewelry:

I wore a high school class ring for about a year, jumped off a hay wagon one time, snagged the ring on a standard, (review the original Walking Tall movie if you don’t know what that is) and nearly pulled my finger off. Threw the ring away and have worn no rings, chains, etc. since. Couple of people have tried to put stuff around my neck in an aggressive and non-complimentary way, damned if I will do it on purpose.

Piercing:

Have been pierced enough by accident and malicious intent, will not pay to get it done.

Tattoos:

See piercing.

Shaving:

I currently shave the bottom half of my face, but it is silly. I’ve done that for less than half my life. If hair grows, let it. There are those who think they will be more sexually attractive if they scrape off most of their body hair. Not likely.

Wigs, comb-overs, hair transplants, hair re-growth medications:

C’mon, get a life. If hair don’t grow, it’s OK. Haven’t had hair on top of my head since I was about 20 years of age. Can’t think of a single situation that would have turned out significantly better if I had. (Women get half a pass on this silliness due to severe societal pressure to have hair on their heads.)

Other stuff:

Plenty of it, but that’s enough for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betse Ellis said...

Well, I'm glad I tuned in today. A rare opportunity to sit for an hour at a wi-fi coffeehouse afforded me the opportunity to drop by. While I subscribe to many silly habits, I think they are more self-imposed than by society. At least I think so.

Then again, I may still be influenced by societal pressures, because when I'm in a place like Portland OR today, I look around at all the "cool" people and wish I was one of them. I don't care about this every day, but when I do care about it, the only time I feel "cool" is during and after a rockin' show. Is that why I perform? Not the only reason, but I must admit perhaps it plays into the picture.

Now I am finding my thoughts expanding and I think I'd better put some more thought into it. Thanks a lot, Tickmeister.

March 17, 2005 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

I think most of us care about it more than we will admit, even to ourselves. It's another paradox, but the only way to be really cool is to not care if you are or not.

Swerving wildly off the thread, I've spent a bit of time trying to analyze the appeal of performing to the performers, and why the sound of sincere applause is so intoxicating. In most cases, it isn't ego or a desire to show off, it's something a good deal more profound and valid, just haven't figured out how to get my mind around it yet.

I've also been puzzling for a while about why an almighty and perfect God would need or want worship from imperfect humans. It might be the same answer. It also may be that beyond profundity lies silliness, and thus the swerve is corrected.

March 18, 2005 at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home