Tuesday, January 15, 2008

48 acres and not a mule in sight

To quote a scrap of doggerel remembered from my youth:

Spring has sprung
Fall has fell
Winter has come
It’s cold as hell.

I’ve often heard that term, cold as hell, which makes me question the general understanding of the concept of hell. But that is a different topic. It’s not been unusually cold here this winter in a historical context, just a normal December with a fair amount of ice and snow. Low temperature was about 5 below. The first winter after I returned to the farm, 1984-85, was the coldest I remember with at least one low of –22 Deg. F. If hell were indeed cold, that would be how cold it would be.

Winter is progressing nicely, I am keeping up with the woodstove, burning almost all hedge wood. I’ve got a few more years worth of wood still on the ground from the ‘04 storm and the hedge will last until I get to it. The power was off here during the ice storms, but never more than a half day. We didn’t suffer at all, but every time that happens I resolve to make better preparations for the next one. We seldom lose power out here in the sticks, mostly because the power companies have sense enough to trim the trees near the lines. Rather I should say that the rural residents have sense enough to let them do the cutting. There are a lot of power lines running smack through the middle of trees in most towns. I assume that is because city dwellers are reluctant to allow any trimming of the only tree on their lot. To briefly channel the Byrds;

For every outage.
(Trim, trim, trim)
There is a reason
(Trim, trim, trim)

I kind of like winter long as it doesn’t get so cold I can’t go out without my face hurting. The sky is spectacular when the air gets cold and still and the moon is higher in the sky than in summer. A full moon over snow is better than a milkshake (such a stupid comparison that I am going to leave it in.) One of my favorite sunsets is a clear evening with snow when the western sky has an orange rim fading to deep blue overhead and the black skeletons of trees are outlined against the last light. That sight on a cold evening when I am walking to the house from cutting wood ranks right up there with pumpkins in the corn.

The whole wood heating thing, in addition to the favorable economics, is a set of rituals have been part of my life from childhood except for a few years in the central heated ghetto of Hutchinson, KS. There is a deep satisfaction in getting the wood and stacking it in a safe place, knowing that it will keep me warm and comfortable, a payment in kind that transcends the cash economy. The fire itself becomes like a migratory house pet, something that must be fed, watched, and cleaned up after daily. The temperature in the house moves to some degree in unison with the outside and puts the dwellers in direct touch with the hard edge of reality. All this stuff is worth more to me than all the cash money that can be printed and piled up, but I know I will forever be a freak in that respect.

Still, time moves in a hurry and spring will soon be re-sprung. I got my 20 x 20 hand garden spaded, ashed, and mulched with leaves before the cold hit. I am going to cover half of it with a hoop house made of PVC pipe and 6 mil. Plastic, so should be planting something not much after Feb. 15.

As I think I have previously noted, our family did a division of the ancestral farm such that I now actually own 48 acres as opposed to owning 2 acres and holding arguing rights to 140 more. For a number of reasons, I have been contemplating what level of productivity I would like to reach with that 48 acres. I have no doubt that that much land in a temperate climate such as north Missouri could provide several people with food, shelter, clothing, and enough spare change for at least minimal self actualization. (Maybe self-actualization comes later on the list, if so, apologies to Maslow or whatever the hell his name was.) It would require a good amount of work, a minimization of needs, and maybe a little patch of weed out in the brush. (Just kidding about the weed, you ATF folks can go back to scanning email from the Muslims. (I wish I didn’t make so many parenthetical comments.))

Deciding what to do with the 48 acres sort of ties in with preparing for power outages. I sometimes think about the possibility of our society going completely in the crapper to a degree that would put us all back in some sort of survival mode. It has happened to almost every such society throughout history, including several in the last 100 years. There have been a vast array of predicted catastrophes over the last 40 years or so, a couple of which were instrumental in my move to the farm. In the late 70’s there were very sincere promises of the following:

1. Total depletion of petroleum and natural gas. I remember one article written by a respected academic of the time who stated that gasoline would be nearly gone before the cars currently on the road were wore out.
2. A major worldwide depression brought on by massive inflation of the currency as the government desperately tried to keep up with deficit spending.
3. A rapidly approaching ice age, as industrial pollution entered the atmosphere and reduced the incidence of solar energy at the surface of the earth.
4. Worldwide famine and massive starvation extending to all the major industrial nations.

I was younger and more gullible in those days, and I believed a certain amount of all this. Thus I decided to move my family to the farm, build an earth-sheltered house, start gardening and farming, and in general hunker down for the coming catastrophe. Of course none of it happened, at least not yet, and we are two or three decades downstream from the predicted dates. The folks who made all those dire predictions are still at it and astonishingly, are still being listened to by several people.

There are those on the other side of the discussion who think that we have reached a level of sophistication and knowledge that will prevent our civilization from ever suffering any sort of disintegration. There are also folks who are waiting for little green men to descend to earth and take them up to the mother ship. I say to all the predictors and waiters in a loud clear voice “Bull Hockey.” Nobody knows what is going to happen, and I strongly suspect that the worst problems that we will face are those that we do not remotely anticipate at present. Anything that anybody is talking about can probably be planned for and dealt with.

So what could cause a real deal societal catastrophe which would put us all in survival mode and leave the streets strewn with corpses?

Anything that took out a significant portion of the electrical power grid could likely do it. Wiping out a major portion of the gasoline supply certainly would. Our society is completely dependent on the machines for food, water, heat, medical care, and everything else that keeps us alive on a daily basis. If the lights went off, water quit coming out of the faucet, and food couldn’t be delivered to the grocery store, people would be fighting to the death for those items in a couple of days, maybe less. I suppose that is would be possible for a relatively small, dedicated group of suicidal attackers to knock out enough power generation and gasoline refining capacity to bring about such an outcome. Potatoes in the cellar would be a very good thing to have in that case.

Thus I sometimes fret that I am in a position to be able to prepare for various catastrophi, but I’ve done no such thing. I’d feel really bad if the worst came to pass and some of my starving friends came crawling to the door and I had to tell them that I just live here on a farm, I got no food either, so let’s ‘rassel and see which of us gets to cannibalize the other. Add that to the fact that I would consider it good clean fun to actually have a working farm in place here. I really ought to do a little more about it.

So that’s the thought train that is running through my mind these days as the sunsets get a bit later. I will continue in a future posting.

29 Comments:

Blogger LVJ said...

Mr. Tickmiester sir, I read this posting the other day and decided not to comment. I am not paronoid, I don't think, therefore I might be. You touched upon several subjects that make me wonder. Here I am living dead center in a grubby little town and I know I should be out about as far as you are. I would be out on a farm if the wife would allow it. Canning kraut, beans and maters. That would be the life.

January 17, 2008 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

I was hesitant to comment, too, LVJ. Seems that every time I leave a comment somewhere, the conversation just dies. I don't think I'm paranoid, either...

It's been in the teens here the past few days, and I'm so happy to have to woodstove to fire up when I get home from work! Rick built a woodshed a couple of years ago, and thanks to the horrendous ice storm last year, we have plenty of wood. There's definitely comfort and security in that.

By the way, we were without power for over a week with the storm, so I'm not sure living out in the boonies is insurance against that. Maybe our power company is not as "sensible" as yours. Or maybe we have so gosh darn many trees on our property that they just can't keep them all trimmed away from the lines.

I do love living in the country on a "working farm." With our put-up food, our wood heat, and Patterson Creek for water, we are a haven for those city folks who depend on electricity to survive through an ice storm. Plus, we just love the company--more body heat!

January 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

I don't know if either of you are paranoid, but I do know that a lot of people are out to get you both and that's just as bad. As for that body heat thing, I suspect that after a few days depending on Patterson Creek for water, those bodies are putting off more than heat.

January 18, 2008 at 4:49 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

You sound like you've been here!

January 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Hey, I have a big screen, cable, a refrigerator in the garage full of beer, a new recliner, I'm ten minutes from Walmart, five minutes from Price Chopper and Westlake, who could ask for more?

January 19, 2008 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Hey, it was good to see you over the weekend. The Freight Hoppers tore me up, what an incredible band. I really had a good time. think that Mary is a keeper, and Connie just might head up there with me for the Tickfest if she can sit and talk with Mary while we are up there. Seen ya

February 3, 2008 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Wow! The Freighthoppers are still together?!?! They're one of our favorite bands. Gotta check into that. Where'd you hear them?

February 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

New lineup, Frank Lee, David Bass, and a new guitar and bass player, both of whom sing well. Stronger lineup, very good.

February 4, 2008 at 8:12 AM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

I listened a bit at their website--you're right! ...although I'll miss Carrie Fridley. I thought David Bass had major heart problems a few years back. He looks fine now! Yippee! I love the Freight Hoppers! (Love The Wilders more, though...)

February 5, 2008 at 4:59 AM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Hey Tick, I have listened to the "Forge Mountain Diggers" CD, and it is very good. David Bass and Tom Bailey are simply marvelous. I'm glad that they have returned to the Freight Hoppers. Hey, when is spring coming?

February 9, 2008 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

It ain't. New ice age starting, just like they said back in the 70's. Unless everybody runs out and burns some coal or something this weekend, we're all dead. Or you can buy (from me), some carbon sequesterization credits and I'll burn some old tires for you so you can go ahead and use your florescent light bulbs and live. I think we are doomed, so I got some bailing wire and fixed my oven and baked Phil and Kim's green tomatoe pie tonight and it was danged good. To be fair, the crust was good enough that they could have filled it with cardboard and it would have been passable, but the tomatoes were excellent. Whoodathunkit?

February 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

It's about time to start thinking bout plowing and planting radishes, lettuce, spinach and peas and things.

March 2, 2008 at 3:14 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Got the seed potatoes, but it's going to be a bit difficult to get them into the ground, considering the garden plot is now a LAKE! I think the lettuce all got washed away in the flood. Sun and wind should dry things out a bit today...

Hey, I wrote to the Walnut Valley Festival and received word that The Wilders, indeed, won't be there this year. I thought maybe there was a glitch on their website, but it is true. Sure will change the flavor of Winfield for us! Will you still go, LVJ?

March 21, 2008 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Highly improbable, the Wilders were the best band there, no others interested me any. I will do like I always do and decide at the last moment.

March 21, 2008 at 5:18 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Vieta says The Wilders might just go to Winfield, even if they're not performing on one of the main stages. Doesn't seem right that they should have to pay to get in, though, does it?--after all they've done for the festival through the years!

Is your garden in yet, Tick?

Looks like we've thwarted the Ice Age you predicted--it's supposed to be in the seventies all week.

March 23, 2008 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Just dawned on me, Tick, that since you're a big wheel at the WVF, maybe you could throw around some weight to get The Wilders back in??? Or at least get them into the festival free?

March 23, 2008 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

No garden yet due to cold, wet, miserable weather. I am in process of building a small temporary greenhouse of a proprietary design using cattle panels, logs, steel posts, wire ties, duct tape, and plastic sheeting. I will post a picture when I get it done, probably this week. It's gonna' look good. As to the Wilders, I suspect that any who choose to go to Winfield will be able to scam tickets by various underhanded or overhanded means. If that happens, I may turn down my MC job and help Phil find a soccer goal to tie a tarp over and just hang out and vegitate. Hell, I might move the temporary green house down there and set it up.

March 24, 2008 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Is it dry enough to put up the greenhouse yet?

April 1, 2008 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

It's dry enough, I haven't had time enough. Lots of work recently, taking Saturday off to go Big Muddy in Boonville. Also, going to the Thusday Wilder's show, so the garden is lagging a bit.

April 4, 2008 at 4:49 AM  
Blogger brotherphilwilder said...

built a cold frame to start spinach and other cold tolerant greens. seeds started well enough, but have noticed that since the cold frame was removed yesterday, the spinach has done much better. oh well. we tried to protect them. it seems they just prefer to be exposed the elements.
good luck gardeners!br

April 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Everything we've put outside the greenhouse has just floated away this year. I'm afraid the potatoes have rotted, and I know the spinach and lettuce got waterlogged. What a wet Spring! Think our part of the state has gotten it a lot worse than up north, right?

April 18, 2008 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

Still somewhat cold and wet, not a catastrophe, up here. I'm not getting much done in the garden, have been working quite a lot. I've had some chances to pick up some reasonably lucrative jobs, so have been ironing the hot striker or striking while the iron is hot or whatever. Drove to Phoenix last week and got into a bit of a snowstorm coming back through New Mexico. Looks like we got a pretty good rain while I was gone. A couple of more winters like this and we should at least get a break from all the screaming about global warming

April 20, 2008 at 4:17 AM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

On the other hand... all the erratic weather could be a sign that global warming is, indeed, a reality. The argument about whether or not man is contributing to it in a substantial way is a whole 'nuther conversation. Guess we'll see... or our grandchildren will.

April 22, 2008 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Ann, there is no global warming. Proof: 1) About 1200 A.D. Greenland was named Greenland because it was green. Now it is all ice. 2) When this country started, people were growing oranges and bananas all the way up the east coast to South Carolina. Now they are grown in bottom third of Florida. 3) If the American people are convinced that there is global warming, you are much more likely to abide by the pending legislation when it passes. International legislation. Agenda 21. Kyoto Treaty. Check em out. IF this crap is adopted by the U.S., then prices of everthing will increase about 5 times. The thinking is that the reduced ability to buy will reduce production and that will reduce green house gases. That is the thinking of the sawed off little poopy heads that run the U.N. and other criminal think tank agencies. Thier third world countries are so screwed up they want us to join them. The U.N. gave 600 scientists grants to prove that there is global warming. The other side has 22,000 scientists who receive no money. Global Warming is another phoney scare tactic like the new ice age of the 70's, the atom bomb may be dropped at anytime in the 50's and 60's, the commies are gonna get us in the 50's and 60's, the war on poverty, the war on drugs, the war on terror, franken foods, everyday that you read the paper or listen to the news its all about fear so the people demand or are led to some government intervention or legislation to save us. Our rights dissappear and another scare is brought forward. So you think I'm paranoid, I think that I'm informed and I know history and it repeats itself. Ceasar was the first "Emporer" to use scare tactics.

April 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

We're having the first garden salad of the year--yummy!

I can't say much about global warming, except that I think it's true that we human beings are certainly accumulating a lot of waste and producing a lot of pollutants, and it should stop. Wish it could be done without legislation, but I kind of doubt that it can... especially considering that a lot of people don't believe it's happening.

May 2, 2008 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

I'm back, thanks Mr. Tick for leading me down the straight and narrow. My email address is jwill@kc.rr.com. Send me something fun or interesting. Did it dry up enough to plant? The fest is creeping up. Can't wait. I sent in my AARP papers recently. I have another Flatt and Scruggs DVD. Seeya, LVJ

May 27, 2008 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Ann Onnymous said...

Welcome back, LVJ! Sorry about your computer--I'm sure you had lots of good stuff on there. Anything particular you miss that I might have?

May 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger LVJ said...

I don't know. I had so much stuff, there is no way I knew what it all was. I will probably miss something someday and I will let you know. Hey there Mr. Tick, I think it is time for the sprign posting.

May 28, 2008 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger LVJ said...

Mr. Miester, the fest is rapidly approaching. Hopefully the rain will let up by then. Should be a great show. I know that you are busy, so I will see ya when I see ya. jwill@kc.rr.com

June 11, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home