Friday, March 18, 2005

Couple of books

I don't get to read as much as I would like and that isn't going to change because I could read 16 hours per day and it wouldn't be as much as I would like. I just finished a couple of books that made a bit of an impression.

One was a biography of Johnny Cash. Two things impressed me:

First, how quickly and easily he went from unknown to a nation wide star. Only took a couple of years and that in spite of the fact that he and his band could barely play their instruments. Seems like that happened a lot back in those times and it seems almost impossible now without some corporate entity spending millions of bucks to do it.

Second, just how sick and disabled he was for the last 5 or 6 years of his life. Nearly blind and in continuous pain, barely able to walk, he still recorded maybe his best material during that time. Amazing and inspriring. Maybe I just need to get old and crippled to do some good music.

The other was not so profound, Kinky Firedmans "Kill Two Birds and get Stoned". Decent book, made me think of "Steppenwolfe", which has always been one of my favorites. (The book, not the band.)

Tried to read a biography of Jack Kerouac, couldn't do it, totally boring, had to throw it in about 1/3 through. He wrote a lot better than he lived.

2 Comments:

Blogger tickmeister said...

blogalog, blogalog
Makes you wanna' holler howdy ho
Burns your ......

Sorry, got to channeling Roger Miller there. Anyway, yeah, I'll likely keep blogging.

Actually, I like Kerouac's writing. On the Road is on my real deal cassics list to be read every 10 years or so. Just that his biography was pretty boring.

March 19, 2005 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger tickmeister said...

Have never read a John Grisham book. About the only way that I stumble onto contemporary fiction is if somebody hands me a book and tells me to read it. Don't have a clue about tomato blight. Sounds like something that would be analyzed at great length in gardening magazines though. Have you googled "tomato blight"? Generally, I cope with various blights and miasma's by planting lots of stuff and figure that something will surely grow.

March 24, 2005 at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home