Thursday, July 06, 2006

A couple of runs

I was driving down by Columbia last Thursday and had planned to stop for a run on the Katy Trail near Rocheport. I got there about 7 PM. It was hot, still near 85 Degrees and I had been driving all day with no air conditioning. Decided to run anyway, figured I could always dunk in the river if I got too hot.

The trail is a lot better than my road for running. For one thing it’s flat, no hills. Also, no loose gravel. At that location it runs along the Missouri River right next to some fairly tall rock bluffs. As most runners know, once you get past the gasping struggling stage and reach a level that allows a degree of meditation while moving, it is possible to draw a good deal of energy from certain surroundings. Running water is always a good source and the big old Missouri River is a veritable dynamo as far as the energy it broadcasts. The tall rock cliffs of course are rooted pretty deep in the earth and bring up another kind of power, and the big river bottom trees that survived the ’93 flood are also helpful. Once you learn to mentally communicate with all those things, they will help when you need it.

Not much to look to on my road. All the big trees got blown down a few years back and saplings are no help. They are like pre-teen girls, all giggles and chatter, no substance. The corn around here is so stoned on Nitrogen fertilizer that you can’t get a rational thought out of it. About the only outside help is the occasional thunderstorm, and those are very intermittent.

I have of course been slowly increasing my running pace on a half-hearted schedule, mostly just covering the miles and observing the pace. My best for 6 miles previous to last Thursday was 8:46 per mile. With all that help, I averaged 8:19 per mile and it felt better than any run since my resumption of expedited ambulation.

At the last minute, I also decided to enter a 4 mile race on July 4 in Cameron. It was at 7:30 AM which was a big turnoff, as I hate to run hard early in the day. Still, the competition induced adrenaline kicked in and I managed a 7:48 per mile pace which is the fastest that I have ran in at least 10 to 12 years. I finished ahead of almost all the women and children.

Nothing hurts very bad, so will continue the experiment.

1 Comments:

Blogger tickmeister said...

June bugs are the big brown ones that go for lights. Japanese beetles are small, more like a ladybug. Don't know about the shiny green ones, they may be hallucinatory or something.

June bug comes in Junetime
Lantern bug comes in May
Bedbug comes any old time
But he ain't gonna stay

July 15, 2006 at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home