Sunday, July 31, 2005

Tickfest 05, Part 1

My intent was to write a big list of thank you's to everybody who supplied a moment of fun, surprise, fulfillment, or stunned amazement at Tickfest. I may yet do that, but the list is going to take a while to compose and I want to at least say something about the event. Only two regrets, one is that I went down hard and early on Friday (New lyric: Tickmeister sitting and feeling fine, along came a Turkey and said "You're Mine") and no doubt missed a bunch of good stuff, the other is that it's over.

In years past, I have marked time and the passing of years by Winfield. If these things keep getting better I'm going to make up a new calender based on the year of the Tick. If Phil's memory is correct, it all started in 1997. Since then we've had the first one, the last one, the 49th one and the 129th one. I can't recall what the other ones were. (For those who don't know, the Years of Our Tick do not occur in numerical sequence, but rather at random.)

I gotta' go to Tulsa tomorrow and work a couple of days, but will get a decent writeup done when I get back.

3 Comments:

Blogger tickmeister said...

Well, I was gonna' write more about Tickfest, but it looks like plenty has been written. Just a couple of final thoughts.

- Bills's Greek funky chicken dance was a surprise to me, and probably everybody else. Next year I'll likely have a dance to do, I suggest everybody consider it.
- If you wanted to start a heavy metal band, The Altered Wilders wouldn't be a bad name. It of course would be a ripoff, but when you get mildly notorious, ripoffs happen. Just ask Johnny Carson.

August 20, 2005 at 9:07 PM  
Blogger Betse Ellis said...

Well it had been some time since I checked in on ticksense. I read what everyone wrote about Tick '05 and I am almost feeling all mushy inside. Good thoughts, good thanks, good memories and good future ticks to look forward to.

This year, I had about the best time yet. Thanks to everyone for putting this whole shindig together. It means so much more to me these days to come home and get together with my friends and laugh and play music with them. Oops, I stole that from the Professor. Now I'm gonna get flunked out of class.

Not being much of a writer these days, either be glad I had anything to say or else write something good yourself.

But really. Thanks.

September 25, 2005 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger Clayton said...

It's now november, and I meant to write this earlier, but...

It's true, the tickfest seems to be getting better and better. For those of us who have been coming from the start (I think I've missed one, maybe two) the thing has evolved considerably. Since moving up near the farmhouse and losing the generator it's gotten more personal, more intimate somehow --- although I did love the big open stage under the tree in front of the pond, the current stage seems to catch the feeling of it better now. Maybe because it got rolled and tumbled in the tornado.

I love coming down a day or two early --- hanging out with Dale, Don, KC, Mark, Kim, Sam, Greg and Craig before hand creates a certain pre-tickfest which I have to admit a part of me is sorry to see end when other people start showing up. There's something calming, quiet --- that may be enhanced by the fact that I'm coming from the big city. But then, after a few people come along and set up their tents, it simply takes a different turn and is great in a different way.

Speaking of taking a different turn, maybe next year I'll do an interpretive dance --- interpreting what happens when you take seven times more of something than everyone else. Ahem.

Anyway, I'm going to try and post a picture here. As usual, can't wait until next time.

November 21, 2005 at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home