Saturday, July 15, 2006

The livin' is easy

The last few days have pretty well captured the essence of July-August in north Missouri. Hot and humid. I’ve been trying to soak as much up as possible instead of whining about it as usual. The air conditioner in my van went belly up toward the end of June and I haven’t had it fixed yet. Just rolling down the windows, turning up a hard rock FM station good and loud, and cruising down the road thinking about the good old days. Sweating a lot, carrying a gallon jug of water instead of a little weenie bottle. Been doing some shop work most days, and that isn’t air-conditioned either. I’ve even went for some runs in the afternoon when the temperature is still about 90 or so just to experience it and enjoy the sensation of being hot and sweat soaked, then hosing down with cold water when I get back. Life is good.

Photosynthesis is in full swing in the fields of corn, soybeans, oats, and mile. The road where I run is lined with fields. I suppose that those plants dumping water into the air keep the relative humidity along that road near 100%, even if it is a little lower officially. All those plants have unique smells this time of the year and it’s a veritable smorgasbord of olfactory delight. Of course the smell of rotting road kill and stagnant ditch water tempers the joy a bit.

The garden just didn’t happen, I am concentrating on keeping the area mowed so that nothing goes to seed. I will then fall plow it and try again next year. Work situation will be entirely different then.

I will be wearing a couple of hearing aids the next time anybody sees me, I finally gave up and ordered them. Got a pair of the high dollar solid state kind that go inside the ear. I haven’t been able to hear much with my right ear since I had a bad infection when I was about 12 years old. Machinery noise and a bit of loud music have done my left one no good over the years. I’ll still be just as loveable, I just won’t be saying “Huh” as much. I wanted to avoid getting to the point where I did the stereotypical cracked voice “Whadja say, sonny?” I also got an optional third one so I could hear what was being said behind my back, but delicate good manners prevent my revealing were I will be wearing that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home